Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya Sherman idler

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 12:11 PM
Rad_Schuhart

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Tamiya Sherman idler

Hi guys. I need to fix or to replace the idler wheel in my tamiya sherman. The wheels are made of plastic and the axle and wheel cap is made of metal. I think the wheel can not be removed. Do you know if it is possible to remove the wheel and install bearings?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	top.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	2207324  
Old 03-27-2017, 12:37 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Cool

Yes, it can be taken apart and rebuilt with bearings OR... Tamiya sells the whole unit with metal parts and bearings OR... Impact/Mitosal has the kit to replace it. (I've done all of these)

Of course, Daryl Turner makes the best replacement above all the others (I have it on my M4A1E8 Sherman) but it's expensive.

Last edited by Panther F; 03-27-2017 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:59 PM
Rad_Schuhart

Hi, Thanks for for your reply. The tamiya metal idler with bearings seems to be discontinnued and I can not find it anywere. The Daryl turner upgrade is indeed way too expensive, so install bearings in the stock one looks the way to go for me. How did you remove the idler cap, and what size of bearings did you use?
Old 03-27-2017, 01:12 PM
Panther F

It was 7 years ago (but it was some standard flanged bearing) but I do know I used a gear puller to remove the pressed-on cap.

I'm sure a pair of pliers could slide it off. Also, the Impact part is nice but I think you must drill out the wheels too with this repair.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:34 PM
Panther F

I looked around and you're right about the Tamiya parts. Shows you how long it's been since I built a Tamiya Sherman.

But really... the DT part is worth it! Once you figure in all the sweat equity, the parts will pay for themselves.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:08 PM
Rad_Schuhart

Originally Posted by Panther F
I looked around and you're right about the Tamiya parts. Shows you how long it's been since I built a Tamiya Sherman.

But really... the DT part is worth it! Once you figure in all the sweat equity, the parts will pay for themselves.

When the budget is tight, the DT part is just too steppy. I'll try to find someone able to put bearings in the stock tamiya idler and then I will make numbers... Any volunteer around here?
Old 03-28-2017, 06:56 AM
Panther F

Well, I hear ya on that old budget issue but it's the nature of the hobby where one kit or RTR is going to require more effort and/or $$.

I drilled my plastic idler wheels out with a $300 cheap hobby lathe but be carefull, the plastic is soft and cut's WAY too easy and it can end up OOR.

Save up your $$ and buy the DT idler and forget all that work. I mean you did say: "I need to fix or to replace the idler wheel in my tamiya sherman."

Last edited by Panther F; 03-28-2017 at 07:51 AM.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:22 AM
Rustytrax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you swing this? http://mitosal.com/16T019.htm
Old 03-28-2017, 09:23 AM
Panther F

I suggested that Troy (and showed them) but an old RCU thread has him believing that they are inferior and cause tracks to be thrown. Must have been an isolated case as I have not heard of anyone else with that issue.

If I ever get around to my next HVSS Sherman build I'll go with the DT parts as they are not that much more expensive when you factor in all the work needed to make the stock units work.

I thought at one time IMPACT (Mitosal) was selling wheels ready to go too?
Old 03-28-2017, 09:28 AM
Panther F

They DO sell a metal wheel for $28.60 and add to the kit at $34.76!
Old 03-28-2017, 10:11 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Hi guys, thanks for your help. After days of searching at every corner of internet I found a brand new tamiya sherman metal idler and metal wheels with bearings for about 38 bucks. I think it also comes with a reinforced inner plate. Im sure the Darryl Turner's kit is great, but way out of my budget.

About the impact guys, yep, I found a couple of threads speaking about track throwing due to misalignement,so I decided to stay away from it.

Also I had some problems with the impact-mitosal guys. I asked about the sherman upgraded return rollers with rubber tires and asked if I was able to buy extra tires in case I needed them. They told me they would just sell me ONE tire, and If I want more I keed to buy the entire set of wheels and tires.

With that support I decided to not to invest more money on them.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:05 AM
Rustytrax

10-4! I have stock,the hop-up and DT and the backing plates for stock and the hop-up. I don't have track issues. Probably the backing plates that reduces flex is the reason.

Yes, I have that many shermans.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:18 AM
Panther F

Well, good deal!

Glad it worked out for you!
Old 04-04-2017, 09:20 PM
Rad_Schuhart

Ok, after buying the tamiya metal idler with bearings and waiting one week, they told me that the part is out of stock and they wont have it again, so Im back to the starting point...

Options:
1) Darryl Turner idler: Way too expensive for me
2) Impact idler: I've read a couple of cases of misalignement and I had bad experience with those guys.
3) Install a couple of bearings in a stock idler.

I think I´d take the 3, but due to I dont have the tools and the skills for doing it, Im going to need somebody to install it for me. I will pay for the parts, shippings and the work. Any volunteer around here?
Old 04-04-2017, 10:03 PM
Pcomm1.v2

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Rad_Schuhart
Ok, after buying the tamiya metal idler with bearings and waiting one week, they told me that the part is out of stock and they wont have it again, so Im back to the starting point...

Options:
2) Impact idler: I've read a couple of cases of misalignement and I had bad experience with those guys.

I think I´d take the 3, but due to I dont have the tools and the skills for doing it, Im going to need somebody to install it for me. I will pay for the parts, shippings and the work. Any volunteer around here?
Option #3. Message Daryl Turner on Facebook and ask him if he would install bearings in your Sherman idler wheels and how much and when, might work? He has done that for a lot of modelers, including me. Be prepared to have an extra set of idlers on hand, stuff can happen. If you cannot reach him, ask a rcu tank memberr to reach out to Daryl Turner for you, just a thought.
He very seldom visits rcu tank, but you can reach him on easily on FB.

Option #2. I used the Impact idler setup pictured below on a Tamiya Sherman 105mm I built a long time ago. The idler mount kit they sent me was missing the bearings, of all things, but I happened to have a set that fit, so just a little bad. Plus, with a Daryl Turner "metal inside rear hull backing plate", the setup worked way better than the kit setup. Had no issues with that Sherman's idlers for the few years I enjoyed that model, before selling it on to a AAF Museum Danville participant.

Enjoy your build.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-04-04 at 10.30.41 PM.png
Views:	361
Size:	468.5 KB
ID:	2208494   Click image for larger version

Name:	•Tamiya-Sherman-105mm.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	2208495  
Old 04-05-2017, 04:39 AM
Panther F

Options:

Not to sound tart or anything but you have answered your own question. Number three exists to save money by doing it yourself and NOT paying the labor... unless a buddy will do it for free.

Too bad you had a bad experience with Mitosal... maybe things are better now? They do offer a separate metal wheel.

Seriously, Daryl's isn't that more expensive when you factor in the all aluminum wheel, the support backing plate is huge that offers less idler/hull flex.

John is right, maybe contacting Daryl as he may have an alternative to your situation.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:40 AM
Rustytrax

I thought the AAF PX has them in stock.

https://shop.aaftankmuseum.com/Produ...ductCode=84221

Last edited by Rustytrax; 04-05-2017 at 08:07 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:45 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Panther F, I just sent you a message!
Old 04-21-2017, 08:59 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Originally Posted by Rustytrax
I thought the AAF PX has them in stock.

https://shop.aaftankmuseum.com/Produ...ductCode=84221

I just saw your link today, thanks a lot. I sent an email to them asking if they send to europe.

Just one question, do you know if the wheel cap turns with the wheel like the real tank does, or is fixed like the stock tamiya part?
Old 04-21-2017, 10:36 AM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

FYI, I've got a set of the Impact idlers and shafts I'd sell. It's the Impact part number 16T019, which is the mounts, shafts, and bearings. No idler wheels. No bag, but they've never been installed on anything.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:53 AM
Cruiser133

Hey Jeff, if he doesn't want them let me know and I will send you some cash. I am building another Tammy Sherman...
Old 04-26-2017, 10:29 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Well. Im afraid I missed the Jeff's deal. I was waiting for the AAF tank museum answer, and they have the piece out of stock. I found it in japan and after contacting somebody able to speak japanesse I bought it... But some days later I got a refund because they dont have it, so I think is time to contact Daryl Turner.

Daryl Turner is Daryl B. Turner on facebook, right? If so, I sent him a message, if some friend of him could tell him that would be great. Or if any of you know his email I'd apreciate to have it!

Or Panther F: If you think you could install the berings for me (commisioned, of course) we can have a deal!
Old 04-26-2017, 08:47 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will tell Daryl to keep an eye out. He's very busy with work/life so you may need to be patient.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:23 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Originally Posted by TheBennyB
Will tell Daryl to keep an eye out. He's very busy with work/life so you may need to be patient.
Thanks Benny. Im in contact with him! Hope he can do something.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:55 AM
Panther F

Thanks Benny. Im in contact with him! Hope he can do something.
You are in the best of hands with Daryl (probably the nicest guy you'll ever deal with, or meet) as we have had him make parts for us too. I'm sure there are many of us on here that could do something as far as bearings for you, but it wouldn't be any cheaper, or faster... or better than dealing with Daryl as this is his craft.

Please let us know what you decided to do for your Sherman!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.