Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Taigen Tiger 1 cosmetics ideas

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Taigen Tiger 1 cosmetics ideas

Old 12-07-2016, 06:08 AM
GermanTanker91

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taigen Tiger 1 cosmetics ideas

I recently got my taigen Tiger 1 late plastic edition running again after a chain of unluckyness occurred and I want to dress it up a bit and I'm not sure where to start. It's the grey one and I like doing the DIY things and I'm just looking for some ideas on what to put on it.

Thanks
Old 12-07-2016, 12:49 PM
tinviper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I order the aber photoetch set for mine. The middle one not the one with fenders.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:52 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

And the spare track links are metal.
Old 12-07-2016, 02:54 PM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

My first mod is to make the front spare track links metal (nice one Crius). To do this you need to get a few extra track links and drill two holes but it looks so much better and you can feel safe ramming whatever you want with them
Old 12-07-2016, 03:03 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

I actually don't drill the holes. I either use the stock plastic bar and just superglue it at each end (I've done this to many tanks and it's never failed yet) or I pick up the metal replacement bar and for that you do have to drill two holes to attach it, but it's also never failed me. However, with the replacement metal bar you have to remove one link.

Now that I look at in this photo, I can see I need to open up the driver's view port, eh?
Old 12-07-2016, 03:21 PM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

You say it is a late model, so have you removed the excess radio aerial stowage tube ? it runs alongside the engine grill on the drivers side.
The one on the opposite side is correct and can be left untouched,
Have you fitted a radio aerial beside the Turret just by the edge of the Tank body immediately in front of the engine grill on the machine gunners/Radio operators side,?
Have you removed the two headlights from the top and fitted a single headlight in the centre, between the drivers vision slit and the Radio operators machine gun ?
The exhaust pipes on the late model Tiger 1 are without the semi circular covers but have a much smaller cover ,
The whole of the Feifal Air cleaner system should be removed
The Starting handle on the late model should be in two parts and be placed near to the Radio aerial and a Fire extinguisher should be mounted on the Radio aerial side of the Tank on the Engine grill,
The late model Tigers loading hatch is smaller and the rear mounted turret ventilation cover should be moved to the front centre of the turret,
There are many other alterations you could/should fit/fix but for that you need a good reference source.
Shaun.

Last edited by jarndice; 12-07-2016 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:38 PM
GermanTanker91

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes all of that is removed. I'm looking for ideas like putting a camo like cloth in areas or the logs on the side of the Sherman in the movie fury for example. The track links on the front I do like that is definitely on my list
Old 12-07-2016, 04:05 PM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by GermanTanker91
Yes all of that is removed. I'm looking for ideas like putting a camo like cloth in areas or the logs on the side of the Sherman in the movie fury for example. The track links on the front I do like that is definitely on my list
In the Russian campaign a number of Tiger 1s were photographed with logs chained onto the side fenders, these running almost the full length of the Tank.
Shaun..
Old 12-07-2016, 04:52 PM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best bet is to search online (or in books) for photos of Tigers until you find something you're interested in and recreate it.

Main thing is don't load a bunch of netting or storage in areas that were actively used, i.e. hatches, vision ports, access and egress or covering tools.

Germans used felled tree trunks and limbs when needed in mud, mostly in Russia.

You can't go wrong if you're copying a photo.