Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Looking for advice on a first tank purchase

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Looking for advice on a first tank purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 01:36 PM
Domi898

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for advice on a first tank purchase

I'll start by saying that I know almost nothing about RC tanks other than 2 weeks I've spent with google and that I think I already know the answer to my question but just want to be 100% sure. I'm looking at buying something from Heng Long for my little boy who absolutely loves tanks. I'm aware they have the ability to fire BB's but I trust him fully so that's not an issue. I'm just a little stuck on what version I should get...

To elaborate there's a spoilt little turd that lives opposite us who's a bit older and made a point off showing off his Walker Bulldog throughout the summer and going out off his way too make sure my lad didn't didn't get too close. So he spent most of the time sitting in his room watching. Now I've managed to resist giving this kid a backhand but I feel the need to retaliate in some way so I've spotted the new T90 they do and decided to grab one for his birthday next month. Only thing is I'm not sure what version I essentially need. It will likely be spending a lot off time indoors with winter round the corner but also the occasional skirmish on some dirt outside just too show it off a bit. Could I get away with the standard one or would I just be inviting problems later down the line?

I've read so many post about how bad the plastic parts can be so I'm leaning toward the 'Pro' version, but I'm seeing if I can avoid explaining too the wife why I need to spend £200+...
Old 10-19-2016, 01:58 PM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There's nothing wrong with starting out with a regular plastic HL tank at all, especially if you plan to hand it off to a youngster to putt around in! The newer HL models are actually a big improvement over the Tiger and Panzers of many years ago although there really isn't a glaring mechanical issue in those either. Consider what you want and if you want advice on vendors feel free to dig around, try to avoid Amazon for a tank as they're usually very overpriced. Ebay isn't bad, and assuming you're in the UK there are actually a few local vendors (Forgebear, Welsh Dragon Models) that might interest you.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:18 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Domi898
I'll start by saying that I know almost nothing about RC tanks other than 2 weeks I've spent with google and that I think I already know the answer to my question but just want to be 100% sure. I'm looking at buying something from Heng Long for my little boy who absolutely loves tanks. I'm aware they have the ability to fire BB's but I trust him fully so that's not an issue. I'm just a little stuck on what version I should get...

To elaborate there's a spoilt little turd that lives opposite us who's a bit older and made a point off showing off his Walker Bulldog throughout the summer and going out off his way too make sure my lad didn't didn't get too close. So he spent most of the time sitting in his room watching. Now I've managed to resist giving this kid a backhand but I feel the need to retaliate in some way so I've spotted the new T90 they do and decided to grab one for his birthday next month. Only thing is I'm not sure what version I essentially need. It will likely be spending a lot off time indoors with winter round the corner but also the occasional skirmish on some dirt outside just too show it off a bit. Could I get away with the standard one or would I just be inviting problems later down the line?

I've read so many post about how bad the plastic parts can be so I'm leaning toward the 'Pro' version, but I'm seeing if I can avoid explaining too the wife why I need to spend £200+...
Well seeing that your son's main competition is "a spoilt little turd" I'd get your son the most robust example you can justify cost wise....last thing you want is your son's machine breaking down often. On the other hand buy what you can fix yourself. If you can't or won't try to learn how to fix it don't waste your time or money. In the hands of a child, no matter how hard they try not to it's not if it will break it's when...

Jerry
Old 10-19-2016, 10:17 PM
Domi898

Originally Posted by Tanque
Well seeing that your son's main competition is "a spoilt little turd" I'd get your son the most robust example you can justify cost wise....last thing you want is your son's machine breaking down often. On the other hand buy what you can fix yourself. If you can't or won't try to learn how to fix it don't waste your time or money. In the hands of a child, no matter how hard they try not to it's not if it will break it's when...

Jerry
I'm happy to fix it, in fact I actually look forward to fiddling with it as a joint project. I don't know a huge amount about RC tanks but you've gotta start somewhere and from what I understand Heng Long tanks are pretty good too work on. Think I'll go with the pro version for the exact same reason you mentioned though from what I understand the metal gearbox they provide isn't much better than the original plastic one?

Either way I'm happy to hear that the plastics are a lot better these days, if the wife has a melt down I won't feel so bad settling for the standard variant and grabbing metal parts later down the line.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:06 AM
CaptainB

Hold on old chap - You mentioned that you want to run the tank indoors over winter. Be careful with metal tracks - they can really score your flooring up if it's wooden and can lift carpet in a turn. Also, remember these are mechanical machines and have grease and oil in them in various places which can also make a mess. For an introduction to RC tanking both indoor and backyard running, the standard newest HL tanks will more than suffice. The T90 is indeed a good option but any of the latest HL tanks (Challenger,Abrams,) are all good as standard.

Good luck

CaptB
Old 10-20-2016, 12:12 AM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

There was a time when Heng Long were what you would expect from a Far eastern Toymaker,
Times change,
The latest 2.4 digital Heng Long Radio Control Tanks electronics are coming up to the standard of aftermarket control boards, They aren't there yet but they are miles better than they used to be,,
The ABA used in the construction of the Tank is sturdy and not at all fragile like the plastics of yore,
Where I would be looking is the Gearboxes and the smoker.
Certainly if you are confident enough to do a little tinkering then I would unplug and unscrew the Smoker and replace it with a "TARR"/1/2/3/4 depending on whether you want a metal body or plastic Proportional smoker or not,
A Taigen 4/1 or 5/1 gearbox would be my first choice in replacements,
Again simply unplug and unscrew, of course you will need to remove the tracks but that is easy enough.
After that you should have a Tank that will wipe the backside of the pain across the road.
The gearboxes should be readily available from IMEX in Florida, but I don't know of an American source for the "TARR" Smoker I buy mine from ---
www.rctankelectronics.com
And click on Store for details on the differences between each one,
And remember with the £ dropping faster than Donald Trumps popularity now's the time to buy from a British dealer!!
Oh and welcome to the world of Radio Control Tanks.
Shaun.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:14 AM
jarndice

There was a time when Heng Long were what you would expect from a Far eastern Toymaker,
Times change,
The latest 2.4 digital Heng Long Radio Control Tanks electronics are coming up to the standard of aftermarket control boards, They aren't there yet but they are miles better than they used to be,,
The ABS used in the construction of the Tank is sturdy and not at all fragile like the plastics of yore,
Certainly if you are confident enough to do a little tinkering then I would unplug and unscrew the Smoker and replace it with a "TARR"/1/2/3/4 depending on whether you want a metal body or plastic Proportional smoker or not,
Again simply unplug and unscrew, of course you will need to remove the tracks but that is easy enough.
After that you should have a Tank that will wipe the backside of the pain across the road.
The gearboxes should be readily available from IMEX in Florida, but I don't know of an American source for the "TARR" Smoker I buy mine from ---
And remember with the £ dropping faster than Donald Trumps popularity now's the time to buy from a British dealer!!
Shaun.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:50 AM
Domi898

Originally Posted by CaptainB
Hold on old chap - You mentioned that you want to run the tank indoors over winter. Be careful with metal tracks - they can really score your flooring up if it's wooden and can lift carpet in a turn. Also, remember these are mechanical machines and have grease and oil in them in various places which can also make a mess. For an introduction to RC tanking both indoor and backyard running, the standard newest HL tanks will more than suffice. The T90 is indeed a good option but any of the latest HL tanks (Challenger,Abrams,) are all good as standard.

Good luck

CaptB
Oh wow I hadn't though about the potential consequences of running metal tracks on our flooring indoors... Seems getting the standard version for now would be the best bet and then look at metal tracks for next summer, at least we'd have both available.

Originally Posted by jarndice
Times change,
The ABA used in the construction of the Tank is sturdy and not at all fragile like the plastics of yore,
Shaun.
Thanks for the advice, your right about the £ atm and with brexit looming it will only get worse. I'll add the gearbox and smoker as top priority bits to grab first, would I need to worry about the plastic tracks if I add the metal gearbox first?

Was gonna use http://www.hayaltd.co.uk/ to buy the tank, they seem to have the best price and from what I can tell they are located on ebay as well so I could order through there and have little bit of protection.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:08 AM
jarndice

HI, Plastic/Nylon Tracks are fine with Metal Gearboxes, and Andrew who is the Main man at Haya is a member of a UK based Tank Forum and when he is not running his company he is like the rest of us a builder.
If you are buying from the USA remember you are not liable for Value Added Tax.
Shaun.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:06 AM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Also keep in mind that whenever a component gets heavier you have to beef up whatever is holding it on.. metal wheels > metal suspension arms, metal tracks > metal sprockets and gearboxes. After you do that to a couple of tanks and the RC bug bites, you start ordering tanks & kits / parts with the final version in mind!

If you DO decide to spend a little more with a more robust model, (ie Taigen) I'd recommend going with any model with a metal lower hull.. off the top of my head that includes the Tiger, Panzer III, KV-1, the new Panther G/F, T-34, Sherman and even the Torro Tiger II.. a bit more coin but they're excellent for the cash!

When you've surfed a few retailers let us know what you think, and we'll be happy to help you out further!
Old 10-20-2016, 06:48 AM
Scaleman3

You've chosen the right place, WWW.Hayaltd.co.uk, Andrew knows his stuff and you can e-mail him with questions and he will respond quickly. I agree with CapitanB, unless your going to be outside metal tracks are out, that is what there made for, outside. Do yourself a favor and start with the basic tank, good indoor driver and even patio and driveways are ok. If your son enjoys it you can the add metal gearboxes and metal tracks and sprockets later, these upgrades are a great way to work and get to know tanking.Nothing worse than L400.00 just sitting on a self. Keep in mind the T-90 has ALOT of parts that YOU have to put on the tank from sprues. Take a look at the Challenger 2 or Leopard 2A6, a lot less parts AND a bigger if not the biggest HL tanks made, and with the latest electronics, It is bigger than the T-90 by 4 in. It will put that kid with the small Bulldog tank in his place! LOL. There also less money by a few pounds than the T-90.

P.S. Buy directly from Andrews site, he is on e-bay but he always will be there for you anyway.

Last edited by Scaleman3; 10-20-2016 at 06:51 AM.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:37 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

This is my recommendation for a first tank. I can get one of these delivered for $125 US, whatever that is in pounds it should be about the same price on your side of the big water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFU5J2vVFks
Old 10-20-2016, 08:23 AM
pcsguy88

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing I'd be concerned of with the T-90 is all the fidely bits on it. Flipping the tank over to change the battery leads to those bits breaking off. Even grabbing/carrying it wrong will lead to something snapping off. I had a 1:24 VS Tank T-72 and had to glue something back on the top every time I touched it.

I vote Challenger for your first tank.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:37 AM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

I would get him an M1 Abrams. Arugably the best tank in the world today.
matomart sells them for about 180.
if you want to upgrade there is another company selling them for a few hundred more with metal suspenstion and wheels and tracks. I can ask my friend where he got it if you are interested.

the M1 is such a recognizable dominant tank. And its big and looks cool. Would send that little kid running for cover.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:48 PM
TheBennyB

Have to agree with whats been said. Keep it simple on your first tank. Upgrade as things break or the want to improve reliability if need be.
Will also make for a fun experience with your son to install any of these down the road together. You'll learn what makes these things tick and within a year or 2 I'm guessing your motor pool will expand. Not sure how old your son is but this is a great hobby for little ones to get involved. Whether it's a 3 yr old helping you glue a small detail part, to a 6yr old helping to change out gearboxes, to a 14 yr old crushing all the old farts in IR battle (6yr olds do that as well!). Keep it fun and don't be discouraged by mechanical failures, they are bound to happen and part of the fun of the hobby is wrenching on these suckers.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:07 PM
Rocketgamerpie

Get him Anything Modern and it will Rock his Socks it will be bigger and meaner. as far as T90 Fiddley bits go, its a Lesson in model maintenance.
Old 10-21-2016, 02:38 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy them all, you will eventually anyway haha.
Old 10-21-2016, 02:41 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Metal lower hulls are over rated. They really arent necessary. The stock hulls can be supported adequately enough without the extra weight. Weight is not your friend here. Some is needed for proper performance but you dont need to be very far off too really degrade performance, so keep it to just what is needed.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:02 PM
pcsguy88

The Panzer III Asiatam metal hull is a work of art, but I agree the large tanks are just weighed down too much. Unfortunately it cost me hundreds of dollars to learn this lesson. I am certainly curious to see the setup required to push the coming Leopard hull around thru rough terrain.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:25 AM
Tanque

Originally Posted by pcsguy88
The Panzer III Asiatam metal hull is a work of art, but I agree the large tanks are just weighed down too much. Unfortunately it cost me hundreds of dollars to learn this lesson. I am certainly curious to see the setup required to push the coming Leopard hull around thru rough terrain.
Respectfully, I disagree with the weight issues. They're tanks, they're supposed to be heavy. They aren't ur Uncle Bobby Roy's Dodge pickup...

I like slow and heavy, dislike light and 'floaty'; I'd have mine as heavy as possible and use 10:1 gearboxes if they were available. Yeah I know moderns are fast but I'm also not a fan of jack rabbit driving.....haven't run an all plastic model since Bandai's panzer Iv...

Jerry
Old 10-22-2016, 04:25 AM
jarndice

[QUOTE=Tanque;12269745]Respectfully, I disagree with the weight issues. They're tanks, they're supposed to be heavy. They aren't ur Uncle Bobby Roy's Dodge pickup...

I like slow and heavy, dislike light and 'floaty'; I'd have mine as heavy as possible and use 10:1 gearboxes if they were available. Yeah I know moderns are fast but I'm also not a fan of jack rabbit driving.....haven't run an all plastic model since Bandai's panzer Iv...

I totally agree, you only have to see a metal hulled, metal turret, metal tracked, Tiger 1 moving across the back garden then watch an all plastic Panzer 4 on the same ground,

The Tiger looks like a Heavy Tank should but the Plastic PZ4 looks more like a football as it bounces along,
If you want to fight your Tank in competition then go plastic BUT if you want realism you have to go Metal.
Shaun.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:30 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

I fought my very heavy KT and JT more than once at D'ville with no problems, it's all in the gearing (stock Tamiya) and the least rolling resistance possible, IOW bearings where ever possible.

As for the OP, no one suggested a Tamiya. Perhaps a Tammy Sherman would be a good start. Quite reasonable, comes complete with all electronics except radio and battery, excellent transmissions, excellent running characteristics and an easy, entry level build. Everything fits first time and both my Shermans are now over 15 years old and had the mortal you-know-what run out of them. One is also a long time veteran of D'ville back when the field was a rock garden. Both run as new and both have the original Tamiya transmissions and electronics in them, never a problem with either of them and that includes the real rock garden I live in now.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:42 AM
pcsguy88

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE a heavy tank too, but I have a KV-1 on asiatam metal hull and asiatam brass gears that can't even turn in the grass or move up a 10 degree incline. It also bottoms out the torsion suspension in the last 3 roadwheels sitting still. Nothing fun about that. All of my recommendations are based on stock electronics and keeping your tank to a reasonable $400 level for a first tank. Like I said, I cannot wait to see what it takes electronics, gear and motor wise to get the 15lb Leopard hull moving along at an acceptable rate. I stopped buying metal tracks when I realized a well broken in set of plastic ones will droop just as well and metal roadwheels with birdshot in the hull gives them the realistic ride we all crave without adding so much stress.

Domi898,

If you want a metal tank as a first, I highly recommend buying a prebuilt Taigen from Erik so that you have swift and reliable support Monday thru Friday and you know all the parts are designed to go together and installed properly.

Last edited by pcsguy88; 10-22-2016 at 06:48 AM.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:01 AM
Tanque

Originally Posted by pcsguy88
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE a heavy tank too, but I have a KV-1 on asiatam metal hull and asiatam brass gears that can't even turn in the grass or move up a 10 degree incline. It also bottoms out the torsion suspension in the last 3 roadwheels sitting still. Nothing fun about that. All of my recommendations are based on stock electronics and keeping your tank to a reasonable $400 level for a first tank. Like I said, I cannot wait to see what it takes electronics, gear and motor wise to get the 15lb Leopard hull moving along at an acceptable rate. I stopped buying metal tracks when I realized a well broken in set of plastic ones will droop just as well and metal roadwheels with birdshot in the hull gives them the realistic ride we all crave without adding so much stress.

Domi898,

If you want a metal tank as a first, I highly recommend buying a prebuilt Taigen from Erik so that you have swift and reliable support Monday thru Friday and you know all the parts are designed to go together and installed properly.
Grass is not the best medium for running a 1/16 scale tank. From the earliest days even Tamiya strongly advised against it. Think about a
comparable running environment for a full size machine- there really isn't one. For a full size full tracked machine to run through weeds or tall vegetation isn't the same as a small machine running across or through all but the shortest cut grass. The load on the running gear is enormous for a small model. I won't say they can't do it; most all of mine are able I just won't subject them to it and never use that ability as a criterion of success... Like running in sand, I can but don't.

That all said, gearing like I mentioned previously and Sev echoed above. The lower the better IMHO. Lower geared and slower running models are, again IMHO, more realistic ( generally) and much easier to handle/drive accurately. Speed I reserve for my herd of old Kyosho Land Jumps...

Jerry
Old 10-22-2016, 11:55 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

I wonder if the OP is still with us?

I'm a fan of realistic tanks, but some of the combinations have proven problematic. I like the metal Tiger turrets, but I've gone back to plastic because the metal is just too heavy for that plastic upper hull, even with bracing (IMO). It's been my limited experience that for realistic performance, it's the unsprung weight that makes the biggest difference. Add metal roadwheels to any tank, even one as small as the aforementioned PzIV, and you'll see a remarkable difference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.